Just got through with my rough draft of my bicycle map. Now I got to study a little bit for the test tonight. (Missed last week).
Tuesday, September 9, 2008
Sometimes you have to be careful what you learned in class, it just might suck you into a black hole as it did me this past week. I was asked at the end of last week if I could do a report for the fire department I work for which would give the data of how many runs we have had in the Cliff's development this year. The light bulb clicked almost immediately. I could create a crystal report giving the addresses of our runs in our district 2, which is where the cliffs is located. I could then take that report and export it to an excel file. I then copied that excel file and pasted it in the program Pete had shared with us last week, batchgeocode.com. The batch geocode.com did not like that I had enter 600 addresses it said no more than 500 should be entered. So I went back and copied 500 and enter those. It ran very quickly until it got to #400 and then it went to a crawl. It finally finished up and I had my x & Y data enter that data into a map I had already started creating and away we went. My next problem was getting the street labels to look clean. I never did quite accomplish that. Attached you will see my unfinished product. Maybe I will learn more tonight to clean up this project.